Monday, November 28, 2011

Back on track..

I've been thinking about my weekend - I had some bread - it was really good bread, but then all bread is really good bread to a wheat addict. I didn't *pig* out - just a sandwich because I was unprepared and didn't have access to any food that would be good for me (one of my sons had 7 hockey games at his weekend tournament, and a daughter had a bottle drive, and then there was the usual stuff that goes with having a large family). So, I learned that I always have to be prepared with food I can eat easily at hand when I'm in out of home locations. Not hard to keep some nuts in the car - and some fruit.

The positive part of this was that I didn't beat myself up emotionally and surprisingly, it was very easy to not jump back on the wheat wagon. I've had no trouble getting back to my food plan and I'm not actually missing wheat products at all.

So, why couldn't I do this when I tried Atkins so many times? I could always stick with it for a while but the intensity of my commitment to the diet always wore me out. I don't feel that way at all this time - instead, I just  think about avoiding wheat. Weird - and I can't find a single neuroscience piece to help me understand this.

A nice side effect of my wheat avoidance life style is that my face seems less puffy and the pants I put on for work this morning are a bit loose. Not a dramatic change for most people, but if even a half inch is gone, then I'm doing the happy dance. However, I'm determined not to focus on weight but to keep my mind on health. Still, I'm sure all would agree that a little less of me would be a good thing!!

Oh well, no point in thinking myself into a stupor - just continuing on. Hey, have your best day possible.

2 comments:

  1. Reading the "Specific Carb Diet" by Elaine Gottschall and "The GAPS Diet" by Dr. Natasha Campbell-Mcbride has helped me figure out some of the gut to brain connections. Going gf wasn't restrictive enough for my body and these two researchers helped me understand why. I lost weight the first 2 years I was gf (though that wasn't the point, I just wanted to stay alive and healthy enough to take care of my family), but I've put it all and more back on the last 2 years. :(

    Interesting domain name...

    Good Luck with your new house and new diet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked that name in response to many things, including the Skinny Bitch book as well as my own need to break out of my so overly socially acceptable mode of thinking and behavior. I'll check out the book you mentioned - have your best day possible.

    ReplyDelete