Friday, March 16, 2012

I'm at that point in the wheatless and exercise thing where the novelty has worn off and I'm starting to have to drag myself to Curves. However, I do manage to drag myself and I have no intent on stopping - my couch potato days are over-. I'm sure part of my resolve is the energy I have from being mostly wheatless (I just can't give up my pita bread at my favorite Greek restaurant - but I only go there about once every couple of months, and yes, I know, I do avoidance and denial very well). Anyway, I persevere and I can see some lessening of me. Still no major weight loss, no one but me can see the difference.  I know I'm not imagining it, I will soon have to buy a size smaller in clothes. Yippity doo dah!

Another thing that keeps me exercising is the connection between lack of exercise and dementia. Obesity is also strongly connected to dementia and let's face it, fear is a great motivator and I have FEAR. So, I keep going to Curves and I keep mostly wheat free and I feel great. I can't wait for the gardening season to begin because I know I'll have way more energy to tackle my lovely garden this year than last and I feel the creative parts of my brain just itching to create some new garden beds.

I love chickpeas - I add them to anything I can. This recipe is a tasty and easy to make salad that's great for summer meals and lunch at the office.



Ingredients

30 ounces of drained and rinsed chickpeas
4 large tomatoes  - chopped and cored
4 hard boiled eggs - chopped and peeled (of course)
2 cups of any type of sweet onion -  I prefer the purple Vidalia
2/3 cup of melted coconut oil
6 tbsp of white wine vinegar
a shake of salt, but you can leave this out if you have high blood pressure or other salt avoidant conditions
a touch of pepper
something green for garnish - green onions, chives, or parsley are nice choices

Combine all of the chickpeas, the eggs, and the onions
Mix the other ingredients together and then pour them over the salad
Chill for a bit then serv

No comments:

Post a Comment